Saturday, October 31, 2020

A Little Hocus Pocus

It's kind of a freaky Halloween when you think about it. I mean we've got the full moon and we turn the clocks back... and the wind chimes outside my office window are going nuts. So I'll just think of it as a good night for flying for us witches. And not get freaked out that I'm home alone!

I think I'll be OK. I pre-emptively watched two Christmas movies to calm my nerves. And relax in general. It was a busy day.

I was fortunate enough to get one of the "golden tickets" to state cross country – well, the Division 3 part of it by La Crosse. I had mentioned that state was weird this year thanks to COVID-19. The three divisions were in three different places and each division broke up their day into three sessions to keep crowd sizes – both athletes and fans – to a minimum. 

It was also weird because there wasn't a clock at the finish line to see everyone's times. They didn't want to give the advantage to the last session of the day knowing what times they had to beat, etc. Strange.

Assumption girls raced at 12:30 p.m. A sunny day and in the 50s – and that might have been the wind mph too. Sure seemed like it! 

You can see it whipping the flag around during the National Anthem!

It was a tough day for our girls. They raced their hearts out, but some of them were struggling. After being undefeated as a team this season, I'm sure it was hard to not finish out on top. But I hope they realize what an accomplishment is was to get to state and run there and finish 9th. That means there's only 8 other D3 teams in the entire state of Wisconsin faster than them! Hopefully after the tears dry, they'll hold their heads high. It was such an amazing group of young ladies to follow this year!

I also was privileged to shoot the boys race during that same session – when it just happened an Up North school was running in that. You know me, Miss Shy. I see someone with a pirate on their hat and I'm like, "Are you from Grantsburg?" Yes, we are. "I was born there and went to school in Luck. You might know some of my sisters that live around there." Turns out they worked with one and were neighbors of the other. And knew some cousins as well. Small world, yes. But it always is in Wisconsin, isn't it?

Got home in the late afternoon and took care of pictures. Didn't have any trick-or-treaters. 

Hubby's hanging out with a high school buddy tonight so that's why kitty and I got to watch Hallmark. Plus I turned the clocks back at 9 p.m. so I felt I could stay up and watch a second movie!

Just a little hocus pocus mind game. Whatever works in 2020.

Happy Halloween!


No comments: