Saturday, March 23, 2024

Miles to Smiles

 

We decided to celebrate our mom's 92nd birthday two days early for several reasons. One, it's hard to gather on a Monday. Two, some folks had Palm Sunday plans tomorrow. And three, half my family is under a winter storm storm warning Sunday into Monday. Something like 10 to 15+ inches possible. Depends on who you listen to.

So 6 of 8 R's, 2 spouses, and 1 grandchild gathered at my sister Rayna's in Siren. The usual 4-hour trek for us.

Lunch was some of Mom's old favorites – meatloaf, potatoes, baked beans, corn, and her classic strawberry Jell-O with slices bananas. Mom liked it. Great job, Rayna!

After lunch, Mom, per usual, was ready to play a game. Her "tell" when playing cards is to start humming when she has a good hand. All of her children are quite aware of this.

Today she says, "Who wants to play cards? I need practice humming!" I hope I'm that confident and sassy when I'm 92!

Although Mom started out strong, Carter ended up winning in the last hand. The way she's smiling, I don't think she minded. Time with any of her kids or grandkids is precious to her.


We managed to get home by 8 p.m. Daylight for most of the trip and a full moon chasing shadows for the last part. Thanks to Jim for driving. And thank you, deer, for staying in the fields and ditches.

Be careful everyone in the snow zone tomorrow!

No comments: