Friday, March 29, 2024

OK Friday


The thing about Good Friday is that we don't have a lot of good thoughts and feels associated with it. 

I worked today but was able to take a long lunch in order to sing with our choir at our 1 p.m. service. I had to rush home for a 2:30 p.m. work meeting so I didn't have a lot of time to reflect on the service. But of course, per usual, it was enough time to make me feel like a terrible and judgmental human being.

Seriously, any time I'm judging someone – based on appearance, education, anything – I might as well be in that crowd yelling "Crucify him!" 

And even though my mantra is to just BE KIND to everyone, I know I fall short. Good Friday just reminds us that we're forgiven for that. But hopefully prompts us all to do better.

My sunset photo was taken somewhere along Highway 13 tonight because I was trying to be kind – but not enabling. Obviously, parent point of view here. Ha. Carter and I went down to Baraboo, which we determined was about halfway between Blue Jay Drive and Platteville-ish area, so we could meet up with his girlfriend and she could take custody of him for the weekend.

I made him drive us down (my tough-love stance) so I only had to drive back. I survived the setting sun and deer "frolicking on the highway" hour just fine, thankfully.

Got home just in time to see Marquette lose to North Carolina State – located in Carter's most recent address, Raleigh, N.C.! Since the Wolfpack was a surprise, I didn't even have them playing in my bracket. But did have Marquette losing to Kentucky (who didn't make it past the first round) so my bracket should be good, right? Er, no?

Definitely, no.

Obviously, today is not the day to think that college basketball holds any significance in the scheme of things in our lives. 

I have friends and loved ones who today are grieving – not just Christ's death – but deaths of family members and pets, challenges of debilitating illnesses and long-road-ahead injuries, and un-necessary stress levels due to job, family, or unforeseen circumstances.

Sometimes it's OK just to have an OK Friday. We want Good Fridays and good days every day of the week.

Thanks, God, for keeping our stress levels and expectations at an even keel. Or, if not, at a level we can handle with Your help!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen

Anonymous said...

Amen