Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bleepin' Blizzards!

For the record, the only kind of Blizzard I like is the Dairy Queen variety, something along the lines of Mint Oreo. I do not like the kind in the forecast tonight -- sleet, then snow, then plunging temps, then gusting winds making it feel like 40 below zero. If you are brave or stupid enough to go outside and check, that is.

As coincidence would have it, Jim took off for Florida (for work) at 4 a.m. today. He called a few minutes ago, sitting on his hotel balcony, telling us of his view of the ocean. That left me feeling warm all over. Right.

I've said before I am a chicken when it comes to winter driving. So yesterday, knowing I'd be on my own and in anticipation of the weather system, I brought home enough work so I could work from home today -- and tomorrow -- if necessary. Today I found it was necessary.

This working at home thing would be alright. I accomplished a lot without the usual interruptions. But I found myself taking 5-minute breaks every hour or so to throw in a load of laundry or check the Weather Channel. It was a good thing I had a productive morning and I was home. Schools closed at noon so I was here for Carter to come home to. (Not that we would have made him wait in a snowbank. His after-school sitter was willing to take him. It just felt good and motherly to be here when he got off the bus.)

I may have to be here for him tomorrow, too. The Winter Storm Warning (or Blizzard as the Weather Channel is calling it) is in effect until 8 a.m. Wednesday so I don't know if there'll be school.

I imagine about the time I decide to brave the outdoors and take the garbage out, Jim will be hitting his first green. Ah, but don't worry about him out there in the elements. I'm sure he packed his sunscreen or a hat!

No comments: