Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Oh, those silly hypocorisms

If you've ever cringed when you hear adults using baby talk to call each other terms of endearment like "Pookie" and "Sweetums," then you are not a fan of hypocorisms. (And you thought you'd be spared a little longer from my new "word" calendar!)

Although hypocorism (pronounced high-paw-ker-izm) looks and sounds like some serious medical term, it actually just means "a pet name" or "the use of pet names." For example, my calendar says, pet names can be diminutives like "Johnny" for "John," endearing terms such as "Honeybunch," or yes, names from baby talk like "Nana" for "Grandma."

Let's start with the diminutives. You'd think I wouldn't have a problem with my hubby being called "Jimmy," but I do. He's a grown man, for crying out loud. It seems everyone who's known him a lifetime still calls him that. I never have and probably never will. But that's my issue. It just doesn't feel right to me. Not quite as natural as calling him "Honey" or "Babe" or, well, I guess I won't mention any others here. Some things are private.

Admittedly, my hypocorisms probably aren't any better. I've been called "Rob" and "Robby" by friends, and "Robynski," "Bynski" or "Byn" by family since I was a child. I guess that doesn't sound very grown up either. When I was young, I always thought it would be cool to get a nickname some day. (Be careful what you wish for.) Ask anyone I went to college with, and they'll tell you my special name was "Hedcheese" (or just "Hed") -- a variation of my last name Hedberg, nothing to do with the mysterious loaf of pig meat!

Carter has chosen his own alias. Somewhere along the line, he fashioned himself to be a gang member and chose the name "Snipe." He even has it engraved on a pair of dog tags -- Snipe Austin! Before he was born, I just called him "Angel," not knowing if he was going to be a boy or a girl. I still use that once in awhile, along with "Sweetheart" and "Honey" and all kinds of mushy mommy stuff that would forever embarrass him if I revealed them on the Internet.

In fact, Jim has even called me Angel! Yep, he says, "She's just like an angel, always up in the air, harping about something." Ooooh. Unfortunately, I've actually earned that one. Hip, hip, hooray for hypocorisms, eh?

No comments: