Monday, January 7, 2008

Don't fight Monday

We saw a television commercial Sunday that made me laugh out loud.

It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. The commercial opens with shots of people waking from their beds in the early morning dark before sunrise. They leave their homes carrying things like mattresses and satellite dishes and join a group of people all headed in the same direction. They eventually gather atop a hill and use their "weapons" to unsuccessfully battle the rising sun.

When their efforts to hold back the morning fail, they grudgingly head back to their homes to get ready for work. The spot ends with a voice saying, "Don't fight Monday," and tells us to go to Monster to find a job worth waking up for.

I guess the concept for the commercial was based on research that showed Sunday night was the worst night of sleep for most people as they worried about the beginning of the workweek the next day. I don't doubt that at all. This is often true for me -- even when I'm not thinking about work! Last night, for example, I set the alarm so I could get up early and exercise. Wouldn't you know it, I was worried about getting up early and got a terrible night's sleep.

I'm proud to say that I did get up and exercised. Carter was a big lump to get going, though. He sits up in bed and the first words out of his mouth indicated the commercial's message got through. He says, "Mom, you can't fight Mondays."

Oh son, you gotta whole lotta Monday alarms to get through. I'm guessing I still have about 1,500 myself. Wow. Maybe next time I will hit the snooze!

No comments: