Friday, January 18, 2008

T.G.I.F.F.

Thank god it's finally Friday! For some reason, I was under this false perception that yesterday was Friday. How disappointing at the end of the day when I realized I had to come back to work in the morning!

I think part of the reason for my confusion was that there were so many people missing or leaving early -- like a typical tumbleweed Friday -- but this time due to the weather. I told my employees not to be heroes about driving in dangerous conditions just for work. Probably good advice since by day's end, we got a dumping of snow -- somewhere between 3-6 inches.

So far this winter, all our major snows have coincidentally fallen on weekends and, therefore, haven't disturbed our work patterns. It usually doesn't impact us anyway. Jim is a brave and careful driver so we always make it to work. If I had to drive our commute, I probably would have played it safe and worked from home. That has happened before when he is gone on one of his winter work trips to somewhere that requires golf clubs. (Seriously, they do a lot of work there. I'm just jealous.) Despite my lead foot of summer, I am totally the chicken about winter driving.

Just the other day when I was the one driving home from work, two cars ahead of me braked quickly so I had to do the same. Turns out we were on an icy patch. The person (not saying lady or guy) in front of me was fish-tailing a bit and I was, too. Since we were going somewhat slow (in town) to begin with, I felt like I was in a slow-motion movie with my car gliding toward the rear of the car in front of me, my hands gripping and turning the wheel to avoid a spin out, and a school bus in the oncoming lane. Thankfully, I managed to stop short of the car in front of me. But I was pretty shaken up.

What did I learn from that?

1) Use caution: Really, really take it slow in the winter.
2) A person can say "Sh*t!" approximately 15 times in only 3 seconds.

Be careful out there.

No comments: