Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cold hand, warm heart

The weather gods are predicting temps could plunge as low as 20 degrees below zero tonight. No doubt we are in a deep freeze here in Wisconsin. But I can tell you nothing warms a heart on a cold day than spending time with a long-lost friend.

The lunch date between my college buddy Jules and me has been more than a year in the making. I'm not kidding.

It all started the evening of Dec. 22, 2006. Carter and I were making Christmas cookies when the phone rang. I checked the caller I.D. and saw a name I hadn't seen in years (about 12 actually). I let out a whoop and answered.

Turns out turning 40 instills some thoughts of reaching out to those we were once close to. Jules had also gotten in touch with a few of our mutual friends -- we were all RA's (resident assistants) together at UW-La Crosse. Throughout 2007 we'd e-mail and try to arrange a weekend the four of us could get together. We came pretty close in September, but it just didn't happen.

Jules is originally from Green Bay. I knew I had a meeting there today so earlier this week I let her know and said, hey, if you're in town visiting your parents or whatever, maybe we can get together! As luck would have it, she was going to a birthday party so she was going to be in town. We made plans to meet for lunch and I couldn't wait.

When I walked into the restaurant, my first thought was, wow, she hasn't changed a bit! She looked great! Then as we visited, caught up, shared family pictures, scrapbooks, etc., over our 90-minute lunch, I realized we'd both actually changed quite a bit. Mainly we've been through a lot of life's experiences that ultimately have changed us into content, strong women. How wonderful to see we are both at such a good place in life.

On the way out of the restaurant, we asked the hostess: "Could you please take our picture? We haven't seen each other in more than 12 years!" I can tell you we certainly won't wait that long again. I want this warm, fuzzy feeling to last!

No comments: