Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chicken Little

In the childhood story of Chicken Little, he thinks the sky is falling and tells everyone the sky is falling, but no one believes him. Now we actually have something falling out of the sky and no one is really telling us anything.

In one of those 15-second news spots, I heard this: Government officials say a large U.S. spy satellite has lost power and propulsion and could hit the Earth in late February or March. The satellite, which no longer can be controlled, could contain hazardous materials, and it is unknown where on the planet it might come down, they said. Did I mention it's the size of a bus? The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the information is classified as secret, but they are keeping other nations apprised of the situation. Did I mention it's the size of a bus?

Last night I was freaking out when I was hearing the 45-mph winds howl in the blizzard. As I listened to the creaking and groaning of the house, I wondered what it would be like to have the roof ripped right off. Now I'm wondering what it would be like to have a bus land on my home, where thankfully we only have 3 occupants (just in case maximum seating capacity on the satellite is 71).

Funny (as in funny ironic and scary, not funny ha ha) how there's all this urgency about global warming, but not much to be said about this mammoth chunk of "Chicken Little's sky" falling. I'm feeling a bit like Chicken Little myself -- mainly the chicken part -- and I'm a little concerned ... not fretting or worrying yet. Just concerned and keeping my eye on the sky (and the news).

Hmm... I wonder if March will come in like a lion this year or lamb or perhaps a Greyhound...

No comments: