Friday, May 11, 2012

Dinner and a Movie

On Mother's Day weekend, I probably shouldn't confess to poor mothering decisions from my past. But I have a reason.

My crime is this: I have let my son go to PG-13 movies since he was 10. But let me defend myself and say they could only be "superhero" movies. So over the past 4 or so years, we've seen Iron Man 1 & 2, Fantastic 4 1 & 2, Thor, Captain America, you name it. We've seen it together and it's been our tradition.

Moviemakers aren't stupid. All along they have been leading up to this summer's ultimate team superhero movie, The Avengers. Of course, Carter and I have been waiting since the last teaser at the end of Captain America last summer to see it. But our schedule would not allow us to get there last weekend when it opened.

So tonight, since Carter had the night off from baseball and hubby (who has no interest in this) was off coaching the other kids, I told Carter we'd go. Here's something I quickly learned. While he was excited to finally see the movie, the prospect of going with just his mother was way off the cool chart. After exhausting his top "contacts" and not finding anyone available to join us, he was stuck with me. And only me. C'mon, Carter, it's Mother's Day weekend. Humor me.

So we went.

We left home early enough but there still was a line at the theater. After getting our popcorn and drinks, we headed into the theater. We realized right away that they were playing the 3-D version in the bigger theater and shoving the rest of us 2-D people into a small theater. There were no 2 seats together except the front row. We sat there for maybe 30 seconds and I said, "There's no way I can do this."

So we ended up sitting separately but sort of together. He had a single seat in the back row and I was one row in front of him and one seat over to the right. So diagonally we could still pass the popcorn back and forth occasionally -- and more importantly, there was no risk he would be embarrassed by having to sit with his mom!

To top if off, the movie was awesome! We both give it two thumbs up! So everybody wins!

Except this poor mother who realizes she may have just had her last popcorn dinner and a movie with her baby. Sigh...

No comments: