Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Music Man

Our social life is not completely one-sided. While yes, it typically is about sports and almost always revolves around Carter's schedule, we mix it up now and then. Tonight it was still about Carter -- but it was his musical side.

The Assumption Middle School and High School bands held their Spring Music Concert this evening.

As usual, Carter was nervous -- even though he knows the music forward and backward. The fun thing for us is now we have a trained ear to Carter's sound. Since he is the only one playing baritone (that nice low brass), it's easy to hear him, especially in songs where he has what he considers a "solo" within the song. Good stuff.

The Middle School Band did awesome. My favorite song was Michael Jackson's Thriller. Carter says it gives him goosebumps every time they play it. I can see why. Stellar job with great sound! My favorite High School Band song was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Hey, I like the modern stuff I can sing along, too. What can I say?

The concert lasted 90 minutes and, after putting chairs, etc., away to clean up the gym, we managed to get home shortly after 9 p.m. Just in time for the guys to catch the end of the Celtics playoff game and for me to bake a cake.

Yes, seriously. We have a potluck at work tomorrow so I whipped together my famous Hornet's Nest Cake, which takes 5 minutes of prep. While it's baking, I am multi-tasking further by blogging and eating the last piece of Carter's birthday cake (with ice cream, of course).

Yes, I worked it off today. Yes, I got my steps. And I might have even stolen a few extra tapping my toes to the awesome beat tonight! In my book, that counts.

I'll close with the "Musician's Prayer," which I think is kind of neat:

God, please bless my music that it might glorify your name,
May using it to serve you always be my aim.
Let it be a witness to your majesty and love,
And remind us that you're watching from your throne above.
Oh Lord, I ask for guidance in everything I do,
And pray you'll make my music an instrument for you. Amen.

No comments: