Friday, May 25, 2012

Summer Hours

Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial kickoff to summer. Back when I was young, it made more sense because school was out by then. That's not the case these days. But here are few signs it's the holiday weekend...

Speed Traps: You know if it's a busy traveling weekend, the police will be out in full force. They started already this morning and I experienced my first bout of "Po-Po Paralysis" -- that moment when your body seizes up upon seeing cherries & berries in your rearview mirror and you glance at your speedometer, praying it's not you... Well this morning I saw the po-po parked on the side of the road and was careful with my speed but suddenly he was behind me, lights a-flashin'. I pulled over and, thank god, he went around me. Thank you, car ahead of me, for being the "bait" today. Phew.


Summer Hours: We began our "summer hours" at work today, which means we are dismissed from the asylum at 3 p.m. on Fridays. It's great for weekends when we have travel -- which happens a lot with the tournament team -- and it's great to get all kinds of errands done while it's still afternoon. Today hubby had off but I had to work since I had a deadline moved up to today that normally would be on Monday. It was a busy day and I just got out of there a little after 3. To really kick off summer, I stopped at King Cone in Amherst where they regretfully informed me they may never have Blueberry Waffle Cone again. It's a special limited edition flavor. I had to settle for some Mint Brownie flavor to cope...

Graduation Parties: We will have 2 graduation parties to go to this weekend. (Our nephew Colin will have his in a few weeks.) Tonight we got to help out some friends get theirs set up. Jim and Carter went over earlier to help put up the tent. I came later (after grocery shopping in a super crowded Wal-Mart) to help with decorating and whatever needed doing. We had a good time with it. And it gave me a glimpse of what we have in store in another 4 years. It made me want to cry. Or that could have been the onion we were chopping in the kitchen...

Skeeters: For as dry as it has been, I was thinking this would be one of those late springs when we didn't have many bugs or mosquitoes to contend with. Boy was I wrong. The skeeters came out in full force tonight. Dang. Apparently, they can read the calendar, too. Here comes summer!

No comments: