Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday Shorts

In the Dark: Had a wicked storm come through early this morning. Murphy's Law of power outages: It never fails that the power goes out when I have only half of my hair curled. I quickly tried to finish in the dim daylight while the iron was still hot. They didn't turn me away when I walked into church so it must have looked OK. (Power was on at church and, thankfully, ours out in the township was restored in less than 2 hours.)

Monkey Business: While the rest of us were at church, Carter and a classmate spent several hours working on a video project. All I can say is that it involved them taking turns wearing a gorilla suit and interacting with people at places like Dairy Queen, the grocery store, etc. Can't wait to see how it looks after they apply their movie-making skills to it.

Treasure Hunt: Before leaving town today, my brother introduced me to the world of geo-caching. I had heard the phrase but never had a clue what it was. Basically, you can look up where "treasures" are hidden near you and, using your GPS, find them. The GPS can only get you so far. You do have to look up, down and all around for the hidden item. Usually, it's some sort of waterproof container that can hold a piece of paper so you can sign it to say you found it. The ones we "cached" today were very small, but we found them. I currently don't have the right equipment to do this on my own, but I can see it as a fun way to spend a nice day!

Team Building: While I was jigsawing around the lake yesterday, Carter had tryouts for the 13-and-under baseball tournament team. They go by a person's age on April 30, so even though his birthday is the next day, he has to play with the younger age. Typically half of the team is kids in his grade (with May or summer birthdays), so it's really not that big of a deal for him. He and Daddy both thought the tryout went pretty well. We kept our fingers crossed all day. After making it the last 2 years and having so much fun with it, we all really, really wanted this. Thankfully, they posted the team and young Mr. Austin made it! Whoo-hoo! Another summer of baseball weekends!

Schweet Surprise: You are never going to believe what I found while rooting around the big freezer in the garage. I moved some box and lo and behold, right before my eyes were not one -- but TWO -- containers of Schwan's Peppermint Stick Ice Cream! Boo-ya!! That was the best treasure of the day! Do I have any idea how old the ice cream is? No. Could be from Christmas 2011 but I can vouch that even if it is, it kept well. Didn't lose that yummy mint flavor. Not one bit. I must have done something wonderful to deserve this!

At this point, who cares what it is!

No comments: