Monday, February 6, 2017

A Pretty Super Sunday



In case you didn't catch us on TV, Mr. Austin and I had a pretty good time at the Badgers basketball game. I should say SUPER good time since it was Super Sunday and all.

I knew had seats behind the bench but I didn't realize the only thing separately us from the big guys was a row of 6 chairs. Now that was a pleasant surprise!

The only downside sitting there is that you can't see much on the other end of the court because the scorer's table and players are in the way. And well, the players sitting right in front of us are pretty tall, too. But really, to FEEL their excitement and not just SEE it, is sooooooo worth it!

I didn't have my good camera with me or need a zoom. I still got some neat shots from right where we were sitting! A few highlights...


First we had to get our pregame mojo on at the famous Wando's bar in downtown Madison. Of course, we walk in and hubby knows the owner, because "Wando" is from Rapids and Jim coached him way back when he played Legion baseball. Always a small world when you're married to Jim Austin.


It was a pretty cool place, though. And easy walking distance to the Kohl Center.


A couple pregame photos were in order, too. Did I mention I had to buy yet another hoodie? I swear to all that is holy – or hoodie – that I did not have a red sweatshirt to wear! I pretty have Badger t-shirts and that's it. So I had to purchase hoodie #53 on our way out of town Saturday.

Looks good though, right?

That's how far away the bench was! 

Our friend Sandy, who got us the tickets!

Team introductions! There goes Bronson Koenig!

And there's Nigel Hayes.

Some action before halftime. It was a close game the whole time. As much as I love the movie Hoosiers, I certainly wouldn't dream of cheering for them!

Break in the action. The backs of the Badger warm-ups had names representing Black History Month. Everything from Hank Aaron and Muhammad Ali to Barack Obama and Rosa Parks. Pretty cool.

Time out on the court! There were a lot of TV timeouts so I never knew if things were live or people were watching commercials. Still have to sit down to watch to make sure we weren't sitting there picking our noses or something on camera!


Head coach Greg Gard gives some advice to D'Mitrik Trice before he subs in.

The obligatory cheerleader picture for Carter.

Nuns having fun. They were hilarious to watch!

And let's not forget Bucky! As a bonus sighting, sitting in the foreground in the red hat is former Wisconsin player Rashard Griffith, who currently enjoys a mentor role with frontcourt players. Sweet.

Quick side huddle while the play clock gets readjusted.

Koenig shoots free throws. Yes, he's my fave.

 Pep talk to stay in it to the end!!


When the bench got excited, we couldn't see but we knew it was something good!!


Ethan Happ (#22) takes a well-deserved break after scoring 20 points.

Badgers win, 65-60!

They extended their home winning streak to 19 games! How cool to be a part of that!

After the game, we said our goodbyes to Scott and Sandy, then pretty much raced back to Rapids for the Superbowl. Dropped off our suitcase at home and picked up the brownies I made Saturday, then headed over to our friend Chet's house for his 32nd annual Super Sunday party.

Give or take a few years, Jim has been to almost all of them. I was missing a few of my girlfriends this year so I am glad the game was good to keep it interesting. Was mainly cheering for my numbers on a few pools here and there. Not a Falcons fan but I didn't think the Patriots needed yet another Superbowl ring.

Won 50 bucks, so we'll call it a successful night anyway.

Actually just a Super Sunday all around!

No comments: