Thursday, January 4, 2018

Made of Stern Stuff

Stop me if you've seen this before...


You know, I met Al Gore once back in 1988 during a campaign stop at UW-La Crosse. He was celebrating his 40th birthday that day. I still should have taken him aside and told him then there'd be days that whole global warming thing would be a tough sell.

Not just to Wisconsin and Minnesota folks either.

My friends in Florida had legitimate reasons to complain this morning when their wake-up temperature was only 26 degrees. Yowza.

And my sister Rayna and husband Paul had a long road trip from Hudson, Wis., to Gulf Shore, Ala., before they hit weather above freezing. This winter is not for wimps. You're either made of stern stuff, or you'll suffer from the cold or a bad case of useless whining.

You know who else is made of stern stuff? Wrestlers.

What?

Weird transition, yes, but I spent the evening taking pictures of a wrestling match since we have some Assumption kids on the co-op team with the nearby Nekoosa and Port Edwards high schools. I hadn't been to a match in a long time. Like when my brother wrestled in high school... and he graduated in 1979. So I definitely forgot what it was like.

Still managed to take hundreds of photos for some moms – and the Royal yearbook. Not sure moms want to seen the grimace of pain and strain on their boys' faces. But I think I got enough decent shots that I won't have to go to another one. Unless I just go for fun.

Not sure I'm tough enough to handle that. Let me face the weather first and see how it goes.

No comments: