Monday, January 29, 2018

Red-Headed or Red-Jerseyed Stepchild

The meaning of red-headed stepchild is clear enough: it's used to describe a person who is neglected, mistreated or unwanted. 

For a few weeks, I've been thinking our wrestling team – combined with two other schools – was sort of the red-headed stepchild of winter sports. Not unwanted, so much as just not supported by a huge fan base compared to, well, basketball.

Now I know that wrestling can't claim the title. 


But hockey can. It so happens we have two Royals playing for the Pacelli Assumption Amherst Almond-Bancroft Iola-Scandinavia Co-op Team. Yup, that's a lot to fit on a jersey. They just call it the Pacelli Co-op Team for short.

Like wrestling, the Assumption hockey fan base is made up of parents and a few grandparents or siblings. But there are only two Royal hockey players and four (oooh, twice as many) wrestlers.

Tonight I took pictures at hockey in Stevens Point. Our combined team was playing against the Rapids team, which is division one. Even though my friend Michelle (one of the two hockey moms I knew) loaned me her gloves, I didn't have the stamina to stay for the whole thing. I am hoping I got enough pictures in the first 2 periods. We were behind 6-1 when I left.

I actually feel fortunate that I am taking some pictures for moms and for the Assumption yearbook. I get to see these other sports I wouldn't normally watch voluntarily. But more importantly, I get to witness some more talented Royals giving their hearts to their passions. You know they love it if they are willing to go on a team with several other school names attached!

There's not much time to check out a match or meet or whatever their competitions are called, but you can try to squeeze one in this week.

Even if they have navy and red jerseys, you can still wear your Royal Blue if you want! #royalpride

No comments: