Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Service Now In Service


Officially had my first official church council meeting tonight as an official member.

And I officially have a sore back side from a long meeting sitting in those metal chairs! The joys of service work.

Even though I somewhat joke to the pastor that I was coerced into accepting this 3-year gig – which will turn into 6 when I'm not looking – I am looking forward to this new role. I know I'll learn a lot because I have already.

I have to keep in mind that the premise of having a church council is to make decisions for the good of the church as a whole. Just like government makes decisions for the good of the whole country. But we'll hopefully set a better example.

For me the biggest challenge will be listening and not just sitting there with my opinion on the tip of my tongue. Because that is always my challenge. And I get impatient and interrupt. I do not want to be THAT person on council.

I'm already that person in my marriage and probably at work. I am aware of it. I just have to keep practicing holding my tongue. Biting it when necessary, but definitely holding it until it's my turn.

Of course, that might shorten my term. Hmmm...

Kidding. For real!


No comments: