Friday, May 11, 2018

TGIF (Talented Girls I Find) Special

Got a taste of culture – and fun entertainment – tonight at the Rapids School of Performing Arts Spring Dance Recital. It was both moving and hilarious. Mainly, and God bless their little hearts, the little girls just starting out were so cute you couldn't help but giggle.

I knew dancers belonging to about at dozen friends – from as young as our friends' granddaughter Willow to the seasoned entertainer known as my "niece" Megan, and plenty of girls (many Assumption Royals) in between! Neat to see the talent progress.

One surprise for me was a number they dedicated to my girl Emily, who died 2 months ago. A girl did a solo dance while a string quartet played the same moving version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow that they played at Em's candlelight vigil. Was beautiful. Was not expecting to cry tonight but oh how I miss seeing that girl dance.

Well, I just miss her. Period.

Just when I was recovered, a group of girls dance to She Used to Be Mind by Sara Bareilles. I doubt it was intentional to sound like another tribute. Probably I was the only one in there who was crying over that, too.

Part of the lyrics:

She's imperfect, but she tries
She is good, but she lies
She is hard on herself
She is broken and won't ask for help
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine


Uff da. Where are my kleenex when I need them?

Thank the Lord the recital ended on high note – four numbers that were excerpts from the musical Hairspray. You can't help but laugh and tap your foot to that. The kids not only danced, but sang for that. My dear Megan (aka Mz Hairspray) did awesome.


And you thought I had big hair!

Fun stuff. But about 3 hours and it's now after 11 and past my bedtime. Not that I have to get up and dance two shows tomorrow.

But I'm open to requests. Once I get my big hair in place!



No comments: