Saturday, May 12, 2018

Waggin' Wheels

Had a racing double-header today. The first involved wags and the second involved wheels.

This morning, I wagged my tail through a 5K to benefit our local humane society. My "half" sister Chris and her daughter Corinne did it with me.

Since Chris and I did a half marathon together in a previous, very distant, life, we thought we'd run it and walk as needed. We ran to begin with and then walked and talked the rest of the way. Appropriate with the dozens of people participating with dogs – thus the water station above – that our tails and tongues were waggin'! It was fun. And surprisingly sunny, too!

And we got cute shirts! Peace. Wag. Walk. Love it!

After the race, I grabbed some stuff at the store, went home and showered in record time, and Jim and I stopped in town to watch the Assumption girls play softball. They were hosting a mini-tourney today. We watched the noon game – and I mean watched with no picture taking. Unfortunately, they lost that one by 1 run and a later game by a few runs. Bummer.

We hit the road after the first one and headed east. Our nephew Colin was scheduled for his first stock car race of the season in Kaukauna – sort of by Appleton/Green Bay area for those who don't know the East Coast of Wisconsin.

First, we had to stop at a few golf stores for some Mother's Day shopping. For me. Got a golf outfit or two from my man. Sweet!

Went to the racetrack for our date night and at least got to see Colin qualify for the feature.

We started off in sweatshirts and, yes, long underwear for me again. And had our winter jackets on in no time. Yes, it is mid-May! Grrr and brrrr.



Unfortunately, it started to sprinkle then rain harder so we headed to the car. We sat there for about 45 minutes looking at the radar on our phones and the windshield, of course. Track officials were still hopeful to get races in later. Finally, we decided to head home.

Stopped to eat at HuHot Mongolian Grill because, well, that's what you do when you are "in the neighborhood." Yummy good stuff!

Just as we were on the highway out of Appleton, we heard they called off the races for the night and will hold them at noon tomorrow. I guess it was a good call for us to leave. But neither one of us can make it tomorrow.

I'll continue in the wheels mode and travel west to the other side of the state. So I better get to bed. I might be too old for two races in one day. But I bet I do it again!

No comments: