Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Thinking Outside the Box


In the back of my mind I keep thinking I "just started" my "new" job a few months ago. On Monday, though, I got an email about it being 6 months. Six months? Wow. Time does fly when you're having fun!

I decided since I had given my life to Sentry for half a year, it was time to venture off campus. Literally, it took me 6 months to cross the street!

And why? To get to Schmeeckle Reserve, of course. (Don't ask me to pronounce it. That may take another 6 months!)

The Reserve is a 280-acre natural area considered to be part of the UW-Stevens Point campus. It's got 5 miles of trails and boardwalks, a 24-acre lake, and diverse habitats that support numerous wildlife species -- including frogs (which I heard but did not see) and snakes (which I also, thankfully, did not see). It's worth going to see deer, ducks and whatever else wanders the Reserve during the spring, summer, and fall.

During my inaugural walk, it looked like a bit of a mess in there. Apparently, last summer a major storm swept through Schmeeckle Reserve and flattened hundreds of trees. There was lots of cleanup and clearing last summer and fall before I even "moved" into the neighborhood.



Still some more work to do. Plus, this spring, the cleared areas will be planted with native trees and grasses as part of a multi-year restoration process. It'll be fun to see the progress!

Naturally, I had my phone with me to snap some pictures on Monday and on Tuesday (when I went with friends). Nothing too unusual, but join me for a walk...













And when there's a fork in the road, either way is right when you are outside. Outside the box (aka office).

And just outside.

No comments: