Monday, November 12, 2018

I Yam What I Yam

Full confession time. I love baking. But when I am in the zone for trifle creations, I almost always do the cake part from a mix. Box to pan in three short steps. Totally a time saver.

So when I decided to try a certain recipe for the upcoming cookie exchange and it called for cocoa, I thought I better check the cupboard. I was pretty sure I had some but hadn't used it in awhile.


And by awhile, I guess I mean seven or eight years. Uff da.

Please don't take away my Bake-Queen (baking, haha) crown. It's all I got. Because I definitely was also reminded tonight that I don't know a thing about cooking!

I was at Wal-Mart getting fresh cocoa and a few other ingredients when I noticed one of my high school boys. And by "my" I mean I've taken hundreds of photos of him in Assumption sports over the past few years. I notice he and a friend are carrying around the white laminated sheet that shows what aisle popular items are located in. When he looped around a few times, I thought, "I know Wal-Mart. I'm sure I can help him."

Hey (name deleted to protect the innocent), what are you looking for? "Yams," he said. When I saw  we were in the canned vegetable aisle, I said, "Well I think you have the right aisle." He said that's what the sheet said, too.

While we looked and looked, his buddy said, "Hey, there's the French fried onions!" I turned to nameless boy and asked, "Are you in charge of Thanksgiving dinner shopping? Wow. That's a big responsibility!"

Then I realized it was too big of a responsibility for me, too. "You know (boy), I don't even know what a yam is," I admitted. "But I'll put in a good word to your mom that you were trying really hard to find them."

And yes, hubby and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner for his family. And yes, you can bet your sweet yam, there won't be yams.

Even if they do come in a box or can or whatever.


No comments: