Thursday, November 8, 2018

Bug Bites

Did you ever notice that the word REST is part of the word REST-orative? Today I am grateful for the REST-orative powers of prayers and virtual hugs... and rest.

I got a phone call yesterday afternoon that tugged at this momma's heart strings. My boy was not feeling well. At all. He was achy and yucky and spent the day in bed instead of classes. But he needed him momma. Or at least to talk to her.

It's tough to hear your baby is suffering when he's 163 miles away. Approximately. When hubby said we should make some chicken soup and drive it down to Platteville, I hoped he was serious. He wasn't.

I told Carter what any mom or doctor would: Drink lots of fluids and rest. He did that. And meanwhile, I prayed.


See, I still picture him looking like this. My little snuggle bug.

I also worry (needlessly, maybe) that it could be worse than a 24-hour flu bug. There are so many horror stories of mono, meningitis, and deadly flu strains on campuses. A mom has a right to worry! So I told him if he didn't feel better this morning, to get into health services ASAP.

Thankfully, he did feel better and went back to class. And I can breathe again.

Oh and here's my disclaimer: Don't you dare tell him I wrote about him! He's a big boy and can take care of himself just fine. But it warmed my heart that he reached out to me.

And I want other college moms to know they aren't the only ones riding the Worry Train to nowhere.

No comments: