Saturday, March 30, 2019

For the Birds


Today was a contest between Sylvester and me to see who had more ambition. It was a close call.

Hubby was gone all day officiating a basketball tournament in Stevens Point. I had a free day to myself. I did have a mission to clean out some more crap from my office. But decided around noon that that was for the birds. Kitty agreed and went to take her third nap. I grabbed my camera and went for a cruise.

I know in the spring there are usually lots of cranes and swans making pit stops in the fields just a mile or so away on County Trunk W. But I also knew it might be too early for them. Today was only in the 30s. Sunny but windy and not spring-like.


Not much luck on the cranes. Just spotted this pair and stalked them for a bit.


Had my super lens with me but that thing weighs 5 pounds itself and gets heavy to hoist. So I didn't spy on them too long.

Decided to make my way down County Trunk Z, which follows the Wisconsin River (somewhat) down to Lake Petenwell. I knew there had been eagle sightings there a few a weeks ago. But I wasn't free that day. And wasn't in need of avoiding housework. Today, most definitely.

There was some herons chilling out so I stopped on a bridge to try to catch them in action. Probably too sunny to take decent pictures, but I gave it a go.







From there I kept going south until I got to The Lure bar and restaurant on Lake Petenwell. I hadn't seen any eagles in trees but suddenly, they were flying right above me.

And I mean more than one. More like 5 but I could only get 4 in a frame.


I was beyond delighted. Of course, I am still pretty inexperienced with my big lens so I wasn't getting great shots (in my opinion) but got some just to prove I saw what I saw!

"No fighting!" 




I could not see where they were landing so decided to head back home.


Spotted one in a tree. Don't ask me how I could see it across the river while driving by, but I have an eagle eye (pun intended) for eagles, thanks to my kayaking adventures.

My camera wanted to focus on all those branches so I didn't get a super crisp picture of him. I was just glad he sat for a few seconds before jetting off.


Always so cool to see!




He was heading back south and I figured I better keep heading north and back to my chores. Sylvester didn't even notice I was gone so I didn't get in trouble with the "boss."

And despite the welcome distraction, I did make some progress today. Felt good to get rid of stuff that I hadn't even looked at in ages. But somehow felt the need to keep. I still think all this decluttering is for the birds, but I'll keep flapping through.


No comments: