Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Three Decades of Hamster Dance and More


Today is allegedly the 30th birthday of the World Wide Web. I say "allegedly" because some experts have different dates in mind. I just can't believe it launched when I was in college and I really didn't see it (in action) or touch it until the mid-1990s.

I want to say we've come along way from the Ooog-a-cha-ka Baby and the Hamster Dance, but have we?

Sure I don't have to use my phone line to dial in on an incredibly slow modem. But now we've got dancing, laughing and pooping babies (and pets). Time wasters called Facebook and Pinterest. An Asian woman telling my how to declutter and organize my house.


And our cat can take a selfie.

Of course that doesn't mean I don't love the Information Super Highway and all it has to offer. Just pointing out a few of the ways it impacts my life.

Today I am thankful for that cyber connection with our friends and family – even across the ocean – and yes, my ability to spout nonsense in a blog and use Facebook to give away fabulous "prizes" cluttering my house. When it doesn't detract me from living my real life, it's a win-win.

We still have glitches, though. I tried downloading Spring two weeks ago and I'm still getting that spinning rainbow.

No comments: