Monday, September 21, 2020

As Summer Fades

 

Signs it's the last day of summer. Despite a shortened season, the baseball flags are almost faded beyond recognition. (That deserves a negative review on Amazon.) 

And hanging flower baskets are on their very, very last leg. But look: Still some flowers on there! This woman with two black thumbs actually kept flowers alive from pre-Mother's Day to post-Labor Day! Unreal. Only in a pandemic would this happen. Seriously, if I wasn't working at home and watering them at lunchtime when needed, they wouldn't have made it to July 4th. (As per usual.)

So I'll celebrate that. And basically cry that the official summer went way to fast and was way short on summer fun like parties and bonfires and other social non-distance events that have shaped my previous 50 summers.

But we're here. And healthy. Knock on wood.

And even though the flag is faded, my Twins are in the playoffs! YES!!!! Also yes, I know both my NFL and fantasy football teams are 0-2 to start. But let me have this baseball moment. I'll pay attention to those other losers sometime in October. Let's keep this part of summer going, boys!

And maybe I'll wait one more week to throw out those flowers. If they can survive coronavirus and last weekend's frost, they deserve another day in the sun. 

Mr. Deck Chair supports this message.


No comments: