Sunday, April 25, 2021

Exposing Our Roots


There's something quite relaxing about spending a weekend with a sister. I think it's because you don't have to put up any guard or fake fence. They know you down to your roots – and know your roots – so they get you. And, more importantly, still love you anyway.

I was glad the clouds and rain cleared up enough for us to take a cool but sunny walk around the lake before Renell headed back to Minnesota.

I concluded I really should spend more one-on-one time with my siblings. When you grow up in a family of 8 kids, there's always so many people. Ha. And thanks to COVID and rare gatherings, it's going to be big groups again because we haven't seen each other in a year, pretty much. And that will be awesome but not great for one-on-one deep convos where you can actually catch up on each other's lives and, lo and behold, learn knew things about each other. Or just share quiet, relaxing time sharing our roots.

That's why I'm looking forward to my trip with Nell and my quickly upcoming trip with my twin Raylene to see our sister Rayna. No pretense. Just girls who grew up together as sisters and now friends. 

One thing this pandemic has reinforced: We can't take that time together for granted! It was taken away for so long. I for one will treasure these moments even more than usual. Hopefully there'll be many more to come this year!

#getvaccinated

No comments: