Saturday, April 17, 2021

Not Just Fiddlin' Around


From gearheads to gardening, I'm learning all kinds of interesting things this week. Did you know the photo above is of "fiddlehead"? If you knew that, you obviously have at least one green thumb.

For those of you also blessed with two black thumbs, fiddleheads (or fiddlehead greens) are the furled fronds of a young fern, harvested for use as a vegetable. First, no. These are replacing or accompanying my avocados. Second, I hope they live to the unfurling part!

Some friends had an excess of bleeding hearts – one of my favorites that I rarely see – so they said people could come dig some up today and transplant to their own yards or gardens or whatever. I've never done anything like this so I said yes. Ha. 

Thankfully my friend dug a few up for me so I didn't have to figure that out. She also had a few ferns growing where they weren't supposed to, so she dug those too. 

It was a long afternoon. I wasn't done clearing that landscape area that normally has bees or snakes in the summer. So I had to dig out some deep stubborn roots that I'll be feeling tomorrow in my back and shoulders. Then I planted them and watered them and will cross my fingers they're still alive tomorrow.

I also leaf blower-ed and raked 5 wheelbarrows full of leaves out of my rock garden. So I'll be feeling that, too! Took a nice epsom salt bath after dinner. Hope that helps! 

And something else I learned... Even if I'm not adding fiddleheads to my diet, I guess deer and rabbits like them. So I had to buy this for my first time...

Who knew there was such a thing? It works. The smell made me think twice about fiddling around!

No comments: