Friday, June 25, 2021

Alaska Day 10 :: Sisters R Home

As of midnight last night, the sisters going wild were done and home – with all three of our t-shirts in the laundry soon after. Thanks again to my friend Cindy for helping me create these. They were a conversation starter more than once – and helped us keep track of each other when we got distracted by moose, pretty mountains or overpriced souvenirs.

I was slightly worried about my shirts – and suitcase actually – getting home. In our first night on the trip, I tried to pull up my very heavy suitcase onto a step so I could carry it to the third floor of our hotel. Nope, no elevatory. And nope, said my suitcase.


R-r-r-rip! The handle that helps you wheel it through the airport broke. Like came straight out with the plastic holding it in place breaking, leaving sharp shards of plastic inside the lining. It has survived so many miles and looked the part. Hubby said to trash it and get a new one. I was tempted. That gaping hole wouldn't make it through airport security too easily. But then I had an idea...


Duct tape to the rescue! Rather than buying a new suitcase at Walmart, I knew where their decorative duct tape was sold, so I spend $4 on that instead and fixed up the hole. No would suspect anything untoward in rainbows and unicorns suitcase! And no one would steal it either. So we were off!


First, we had to say goodbye to Ed.


Thanks for the 1,186.7 miles of memories, Ed!


It was time to exit the Last Frontier.

I had hoped to sleep on the plane, but there were little ones who didn't want to sleep during the 4 hours and 35-minute flight. Dang. Was grateful my niece Caryn picked us up at the airport, took me to my car at the hotel from the previous week (seems like months ago) and I could hit the road to Rapids by 8:30.

No offense to Ed, but little Black Betty Deux was so much easier to handle. Still, by habit, I was saying, "Help me watch for deer, Ed!" I did see more deer between Minneapolis and Rapids than I saw of any other wildlife in Alaska!

Was grateful to arrive home safely at the stroke of 12 and fall into my heated bed (thanks, honey) for a good night's sleep after an amazing, amazing, amazing, not enough amazings, vacation! And grateful I had a deep-tissue massage scheduled for today. 

Traveling isn't just rough on old luggage, folks!

No comments: