Monday, October 18, 2021

Holy Ship!

One of my highlights this weekend was seeing the famous Duluth Lift Bridge in action. It happened that on Friday while we were sightseeing around Two Harbors, we saw this ship heading toward the Duluth Canal.

I wondered out loud about what it was doing and my sister RoAnn rattled off all kinds of information about it. Of course, I thought she was having one of the LeRoy moments and pretending to know, but she really did. She showed me the website where all the incoming and outgoing ships are listed. And as it turned out, one was set to dock on Saturday morning.

I knew right away I wanted to see how a thousand-foot ship could gracefully glide into that canal. My sister Renell wanted to see it, too, so we woke up early and headed down to the harbor at 8 a.m. 

Later, after waiting and freezing with the windchill (not kidding), we realized it was coming in 49 minutes late. But it was worth wait.


I have only seen draw bridges in action, so was curious to see the difference with this one.

Basically the whole bottom zooms straight up so the ship can come on in, barely glide under and pass through.


Here she comes! Barreling in at 9 mph.


Even getting closer, it was hard to tell that it was as long as a train. 


Then you started to see more of it and it was like, wow! How long is this thing?! Yes, I asked myself that even though I new it was 1,000 feet by 100 feet.


Entering the canal.


Holy ship, Batman!


That is lo-o-o-o-ong!





And it looked like it just sneaked under!


And then had to make a sharp left turn. What?


The lift goes back down.

One more tiny boat goes practically unnoticed under it! Such a contrast!

So glad we went down to see that! Definitely worth checking out if you're ever in that northern neck of the woods!

No comments: