Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Serving Up a Cause

Tonight was the Pink Out (aka Spike Out Cancer) game for Assumption volleyball. I had hoped to share some more photos but my computer is spinning colorful wheels and I'll be lucky to get a few sentences typed here.

Anyway, besides players and fans wearing pink, they had a wall of cancer warrior names that made the shape of a ribbon. I recognized several names, including our friends' mom (and a player's grandma) who died of pancreatic cancer this year. Sad stuff.

I could've added a name, too, since we just lost a friend and former Iola co-worker to cancer the other day. Tom was only 57 – which is young when you're in your 50s yourself. But cancer doesn't care. It'll take anyone. Any age. Any size. Any station in life. It just doesn't care.

But those of us who've watched a loved one suffer through it care. That's why I'm glad they call attention to it, raise money, and wear pink for a good cause.

No one whose name appears on that ribbon deserved to get cancer or die from it. I hope some of them are survivors. Because my girlfriends who wear pink as their victory color are proof you can beat it!

In the meantime, though, hugs go out to all the family and friends behind each name. 

May we all live to see the day we truly do spike out cancer!

No comments: