Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Presidential Reading

Yesterday's snow and ice storm across Wisconsin delayed several sporting events and, more importantly, book club. (I'm trying to get better at sharing the books we enjoy so that you readers can, too.)

So this evening we gathered at my friend Brenda's house to discuss The Lincoln Highway. I guess that's fitting for Presidents Day week. Even though we didn't plan it that way. 

Having spent a few years editing old car magazines, I was already familiar with the Lincoln Highway (and the Yellowstone Trail and Route 66, etc) before reading this. And did I really want to read 592 pages about it? Turns out, it was worth it.

I'll share a little synopsis with NO spoilers: In June, 1954, 18-year-old Emmett Watson is driven home to Nebraska by the warden of the juvenile work farm where he has just served 15 months for involuntary manslaughter. His mother long gone, his father recently deceased, and the family farm foreclosed upon by the bank, Emmett's intention is to pick up his eight-year-old brother, Billy, and head to California where they can start their lives anew. But...

When the warden drives away, Emmett discovers that two friends (using that term loosely) from the work farm have hidden themselves in the trunk of the warden's car. Together, they have hatched an altogether different plan for Emmett's future, one that will take them all on a fateful journey in the opposite direction—to New York City.

The story spanned just 10 days. And there was a lot going on and a lot of characters to fill 10 days or 592 pages. But stick with it, it's a great novel. Just released in October, so I don't know if it's in paperback yet, but I did the audio thing for most of it before getting my hands on a friend's physical copy. 

Now we're onto This is How it Always is by Laurie Frankel for next month. A completely different topic. That's why I love this group. Opening my eyes one month at a time.

If you have any suggested good reads, let me know! Always on the lookout.

No comments: