Thursday, June 28, 2012

Double Digits

With my better half -- twin sister Raylene (left) on our 5th birthday.

I remember when turning "double digits" meant you were finally out of the singles and getting closer to becoming a teen! Since then, the only doubles I've seen are 11, 22, 33 and now, sigh, 44. I don't know why I feel so much older than last year at this time.

Of course, a year ago I was running up to 7 or 8 miles by this time of the summer in my training for the half. Now I'm mostly walking and lucky to get a run of any kind in once a week. Last year at this time I felt more healthy, too, no surprise. Now I've got the elderly aches and pains (oh my hip; oh my back) and have a container of pills to pick up at the pharmacy once a month.

Yup, I'd say things are down hill... but I will be the last to admit I've even made it up the hill, let alone over the hill and on my way down. This is probably just a bump along the way. This could be a turning point for the good.

And don't get me wrong. Other than the age-related things, life is darn good right now. I feel happy and content and loved. It's a nice, nice feeling!

Had a typical Thursday more than a typical birthday today. I worked and then had to go to the dentist. Got home in time for us to head to the ballpark for Carter's 6 p.m. game. I ended up doing the scorebook again. I think we tend to lose when I do that. I need to get back into my groove of cooking the books so we win! Tonight it was a 10-run shortened game and loss. We didn't mind. It was close to record heat today. Yikes.

By the time Carter's game was done, my tooth/mouth numbness had finally worn off so hubby took me out to eat ... at the concession stand! Hey, they have super cheeseburgers there! Plus he got me a massage certificate and my appointment is already made for Monday -- after our golfing weekend! Very, very nice.

I got some other cards and gifts and a ton of birthday greetings from my twin, other friends, family and Facebook connections. No matter what age, I always love my birthday. I love feeling so special! It makes some of those aches and pains disappear!

No comments: