Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sweet Taste of Victory

Quite a Sunday around here. Since Carter's team was to play at 10, we had to leave town by 8:15 a.m. We were both supposed to serve at church for the 8 a.m. service. He was on to acolyte and I was on for reading.

I texted our pastor last night and told him the situation. I mean we had full intentions of Carter being there -- especially since we typically haven't made it to the Sunday playoff situation this summer. We worked out a deal where Carter didn't have to be there and I could read, leave church when I was done and Jim, Carter and his teammate Zach would swing by the parking lot and pick me up about 8:20. Worked fine. (I even survived reading for the first time since Christmas Eve when I almost fainted!)

Got to Marshfield on time to play against Manitowoc for 5th place. Well, like I said, at least we were playing on Sunday. And the boys were still jazzed from their win last night so they carried that momentum through. It was an unbelievable game. For once we were on the giving end of a big score. We beat them soundly, 18-5. Not a typo there. We really kicked butt.

Regardless of coming home without a trophy, it sure feels good to finally have some wins. Now we are "off" for two weekends. Hope they keep remembering how good today feels and want to repeat it!

We headed straight over to Plover from Marshfield. All our girls teams were playing in a tournament there -- including Zach's sister. So we dropped him off to get a ride home with his family... and naturally hung around to watch a little softball. Our girls in the various age groups did not have a good weekend. Shucks. In the small world category, I ran into my old boss who has been gone for a handful of years now. His team from Shawano was there. Nice to catch up and see his family.

We got home after a detour to Polito's Pizza and I was ready for a nap. I did find my lounge chair and tanned my backside a bit, but couldn't fall asleep. It won't take me long tonight, that's for sure. I got my grocery shopping done, some laundry, got to see highlights of my Twins beating hubby's Reds, and even got in a short walk with Carter (he's gotta break in his hiking shoes). Felt good.

The only downer -- and it's a major one -- is that I learned my cousin had a stroke today and is being airlifted to a hospital in Eau Claire. She is just in her early 50s and was perfectly fine yesterday during a family get-together. You just never know when something is going to happen!! I appreciate any prayers for LaRaye and please, please don't forget to give your loved ones a hug today!

We need to treasure the small things -- like baseball victories -- and the big things -- those who hold our hearts in their hands.

No comments: