Monday, October 8, 2012

Columbus Day

It might be Columbus Day Observed, but for me it felt like Independence Day -- as in, I'm on my own.

Hubby has a work trip in Chicago and will be back Thursday night. Strange how we spend a week together then I was immediately gone 4 days for a sister weekend and now, a week later, he's escaping for 4 days, too. Hmm.

Thankfully, he didn't have to leave until mid-morning AFTER they administered flu shots at work. We signed up for the same time so he could hold my hand through the process if necessary. I think you know needles and I are not friends. And I get a little nervous. Just a little bit.

I didn't have to physically hold Jim's hand but he was right there for me and helped me back to my desk just in case I was gonna pull a Carter and faint. OK, that wasn't fair. I was fainting long before Carter was around! I did OK today, though. Arm is still tender but I didn't have any other reaction so I should be able to handle this on my own going forward.

The non-fun part about the single parent gig is that when it falls during the week, I have to be a hard-ass and get Carter to buckle down and do his homework. We didn't have a very pleasant conversation tonight. The first grading period ends Friday already (we do the 6 hexes vs. 4 quarters) and now that he is in high school, these grades COUNT. Not that we haven't had the conversation before. He just needs to use some of his time more wisely.

Don't we all?

While he was trying to hit the books, I was getting our bathroom prepped for the plumber tomorrow. Something's not right with the toilet in our bedroom bathroom. So Jim called the plumber today and I get to deal with him tomorrow on my own. Not to sound like the stereotypical female, but I'd rather the guys handled that stuff with the guys.

Plus, I will look like an idiot because tonight (for some odd reason) it was working fine -- not leaking, not having any water level issues. Sigh... So who knows if Mr. Plumber will find anything or not tomorrow. It might be just a loose pipe or I might have make a big decision like ripping out carpet or getting a new toilet. I really appreciate the "other half" for things like this!

The only thing I don't mind is that I got one more crack at that TV and remote tonight. This time, The Voice was on and I got caught up on that a little between testing for leaks and using my own Voice on Carter.

Enjoyed that. Might just have to dream about Adam and Blake tonight... and Jim, of course. That just goes without saying!

Honest, Honey!

No comments: