Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cow Pies to Cow Bell

As a new Cross Country parent, this season has been quite educational. I have one mom who has kindly taken me under her wing to tell me where to stand for good spectator cheering and viewing (and picture taking) and another dad who emails maps and schedules. They're taking care of us newbies but we still find new things to ... uhm, comprehend.

Today, for example, the schedule clearly stated the conference meet was at a farm. Not a school or golf course or park, but a genuine farm between Marathon and Wausau. Thankfully, they included a map or I may have ended up in the corn maze next door!

Since hubby wasn't home from his work trip in Chicago yet, I just went straight to the meet from work. I knew it was going to be chilly so I planned ahead and dressed accordingly, including long underwear and the "hand warmers" in my shoes. Turns out I didn't quite need all that.

The way the farm course was set up, the kids ran past the corn, then through some woods and who knows where in the back 40, then circle toward the dirt road and finish line. I was a little concerned we'd all have to watch where we stepped but I didn't see any cows or cow pies.

It was not ideal for spectator viewing like those golf courses have been. Instead we could catch them at a certain mile marker then, while they ran off into the woods for another mile, we could cut across a logging road (I think) to another viewing/cheering area before the finish. The challenge was getting from that one spot to the other in a timely manner. So while the kids were running, some of us adults were, too. I had running shoes on, but I kept it to a jog since I wasn't wearing a "running bra". Plus, I didn't want to get recruited. Ha. Right. Still worked up a sweat, though.

Since today was the last regular meet, the coach had all the boys run varsity together. So even though Carter has done JV the last two meets, he got to run with the faster guys. He doesn't want me to tell anyone where he finished, but I'm sure he could hear the ATV that brings up the rear of the pack to signal the finishing group. The good news is that he got another PR! Finished in something like 23:45, he thinks. That's great!

Also, one of our girls finished first overall so she got a conference award for that. Awesome! While the teammates stuck around for awards, I headed home so I could meet up with Jim and take just one vehicle into town to meet Carter's bus and take in the Assumption High School football game versus Wausau Newman.

By then, I was really glad I had on all those layers, plus a hat, mittens and two blankets! It was just windy enough to make it super cold. I know it's supposed to get down to 23 tonight. I know it wasn't quite that, but when our team falls behind -- despite an early lead and plenty of cow bell from the fans -- it doesn't help.

We did end up losing our last regular game of the season 32-20. Now it's playoff time for all sports.

At this rate, I may have to invest in some more hand warmers. At least my shoes don't smell like a barn!

No comments: