Saturday, October 13, 2012

Step by Soggy Step

Ironic that I am intermittently committed to a regular diet and exercise regime, but when it comes to running a race I've registered for, I wouldn't dream of not doing it. Even if I am out of shape and not trained for it. I am going to earn that darn t-shirt. Come Hell or high water.

Today, it was "high water."

Three of us signed up a month ago or so for the Lettie's Central Waters River Run over in Amherst. Some of the Desperate Housewives of Blue Jay Drive have run this each fall. It's sort of been a tradition to wrap up the race season with a pretty 5K along the Tomorrow River.

Well this year, they changed it to a 5-mile run instead and started it at the Central Waters Brewery in Amherst. My "half marathon" sister Chris and neighbor Cindy signed up, assuming it would be a lovely fall day to run. Watching the forecast all week, we knew that was not going to be the case. 40-something degrees and rain. Yup, that's how runners get their reputation as being INSANE!

Unfortunately, Cindy couldn't run -- she's on injured reserve under doctor's orders -- but she rode with me and was our official race photographer. Chris met us there and we just went for it!


With the rain pouring down outside, we stayed inside the brewery as long as we could before being forced to the Starting Line.
Most people had running tights and rain gear or light, "wicking" clothing. Had to wear a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my face. Then added a pretty purple (ha) headband to cover my ears. Yes, it's October but we had a "windchill" of 37 degrees. Do you think we're INSANE yet??
Chris, who is in far better shape than me, paced me for the first 3-4 miles. Then I let her go and kept her in my sights so I would keep moving. Knowing I wasn't well trained for this, I had hoped to finish under an hour then would be thrilled with 55 minutes because that would be 11-minute miles -- and I am at that pace in my little training right now. I don't know if it was the rain prompting me to finish faster or what, but I was ecstatic to cross the Finish Line at 52:52. I can only get better from here!!
The soggy survivors!! Of course, we'd do it again. Because we are INSANE!
As a bonus today, I got to see my friend Jean. She used to work with me in Iola and she is the one I blame (or credit) for getting me to start running 5 years ago! She placed first today in her age group so she is obviously a great mentor and inspiration... and drill sergeant! Lovingly said, of course.
As an extra bonus, when I got home, hubby had my towels in the dryer so I could take a nice hot shower and dry off with warm towels. He's the best! I will say it did take several hours to finally warm up, but I am not complaining. I was happy with how things went and will deal with my inevitable hip pain tomorrow!

As a super extra bonus, Carter has been at a friend's this afternoon and evening so hubby and I got to go out to eat (Rocky Rococo's can be romantic) and he is re-teaching me cribbage. I learned a lot watching him play with Don and Sally out in Vermont. Now it's time to put it to use. For the record, I won the first game. And yes, I am fully aware that probably won't happen again.

I may be INSANE. But I ain't stupid.

No comments: