Friday, October 12, 2012

TGIF (Thank God I'm Friendly?)

I'm ashamed to say I have become a lazy friend.

We like to think that modern technology makes it so easy to connect with friends. But are we really connecting? I mean really connecting -- the same way a good talk on the phone or a hug in person would do?

I don't think so.

As a parent, I have observed the interaction between "kids these days." They can be sitting next to each other or "hanging out" and not talking to each other at all, but have their heads down, looking at their cyber device of the day. Do they even talk to each other beyond texting?

I don't think this bodes well for their future interaction with acquaintances, co-workers, bosses and even significant others. But who am I to judge? I was reminded today I am just as guilty.

No, I don't have a smart phone that keeps me online and in constant touch with the world. But I have other vices. I'm sure all of you have heard of Facebook and many of you are on it. At first I thought I was too old to understand it. Then I wondered when or why I would ever use it. Eventually, I discovered I could find and "connect" with old friends, former co-workers and classmates -- all the way from grade school to college. How awesome!

Sort of. Sure it's great to have all these "friends" back in my life, but does the sheer volume make me a good friend?

No.

It makes me think of people more often than maybe I would day to day. And I do like to keep tabs on what people are up to and how their kids are growing, etc. Not in a super snoopy way but in a good, "I'm interested because I like this person" kind of way. You know what would be even better? Calling that person or stopping by to see them and TELLING them face to face that I am interested in their life today because I like them. Because they are my friend.

But I'm lazy and don't do that. I use "social media" and even this blog as my crutch. My way of communicating. Or not communicating.

Today, I discovered some sad news about a friend -- and I still call her a friend even though I have been so selfish with my own life I have not made an effort to call her or see her when she lives a mere 5 minutes away from where I work. Now I find out she has breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy this week. How did I not know this? Where have I been? How can one be a supportive friend if one is not being a real friend in the first place?

I had a good cry -- in shock and in shame.

Of course, I will pray for her recovery. That's really the least I can do. I also will pray God can forgive me and somehow use me to be a supportive friend. A true friend. An honest to God, in the flesh, "here's my shoulder for you to cry on" friend.

I wouldn't expect any less from MY friends. Would you?

No comments: