Monday, June 10, 2013

Driven to Distraction

Back when I was a kid and we'd go, well, anywhere, I'd hang over the back of the front seat, bothering my parents and looking out the front window. Sure I was probably told dozens of times to sit down. But since seat belts weren't required way back then, I could stay in the back seat but still bounce around and look out any window I wanted to.

I might have been a brat who didn't listen, but I knew where we were going and how to get there.

These days, a good number of parents like me, feel somehow guilty just telling our kids in the back seat to sit still and just look out the window. We give them toys and books and that gradually changes to GameBoys then iPods. They are entertained. They do not complain.

And they do not know where we are going. Or how we are getting there.

I'm not which is more disconcerting... the fact Carter started driver's ed. today (yikes) or the fact he is not even sure how to get to school and back on his bike. He biked there on Friday and again today. Both times getting "mildly" lost. I say mildly because he eventually did get home ...with a few extra miles on his bike.

What's going to happen when he starts driving? Can he get to school or his grandparents' in town? How about our church or Dairy Queen? I'm pretty sure he could get to Wal-Mart, since that's only a few "roads" away. But that's nothing to brag about!

Texting, talking and changing the radio dial will not be his most immediate distractions. Reading a GPS might be.

Good thing we've got another 5 1/2 months before he can get behind the wheel -- and the rest of you can get your defensive driving skills sharpened!

Good luck to us all.

No comments: