Monday, June 3, 2013

A Time to Dance

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; ... a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance. ~ Ecclesiastes 3:1-4

It was by pure coincidence that I was in the middle of reading the book 90 Minutes in Heaven last week when my father passed away. The book is written by a minister who allegedly was killed in a car accident, went to heaven, but came back to life 90 minutes later after a stranger prayed hard for his recovery.

I say "allegedly" not because I doubt there is a heaven, but because I'm always a bit skeptical of people -- clergy or not -- who claim they've been to heaven and now live to tell about it... and make money selling their story.

His description of heaven, however, is a good reminder that my dad is in an indescribably beautiful place. He is surrounded by love and music and singing and yes, dancing. Dad can now dance to his heart's content without the aid of a cane or walker. Isn't that magnificent?

I take comfort in that.

I am also reminded (as I often am) that if I am capable of dancing...well, moving my legs under my own free will... then I should.

It was with this mindset, I went for a nice run/walk this evening. After a month of a different exercise routine, I figured I should ease my legs back into into running. I did not get tired. I did not feel pain. I thought, wow, this is how my dad feels right now. He can polka with the best of them -- tireless in his young 44-year-old legs. Ha.

Listen up, angels: It's time to roll out the barrel...


No comments: