Wednesday, June 5, 2013

One More Gig

School's out for summer.... Classes may be done for the boy, but he had one more band gig duty to fulfill before he could officially start his summer vacation.

Tonight was Assumption Catholic Schools night at the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters baseball game. The Rafters, into their 3rd season in Rapids, are part of the Northwoods League, basically a summer collegiate baseball league around the Midwest.

Having "our" night at the game meant we had a tailgate party at school starting at 5 p.m., the band marched up to the ballpark at 6 p.m., played the National Anthem at 7 p.m., then marched back to school.

With all that was going on last week with my dad's death and funeral planning, I completely forgot about getting a ticket to the event -- which included the tailgate meal, a hat and game ticket. With nonstop rain (practically) since yesterday, the tailgating event was moved inside the gymnasium. I wasn't so sure the game would even be on. But since Carter had to be there for band, I decided I would take him to school and see if I could help as long as I was there.

I ended up serving up dozens of hotdogs and feeling useful. Then, as it turned out, despite the threatening weather, the game was still on and a friend had an extra ticket -- including a hat for me! So we walked up to the game, got to see our kids play the National Anthem and decided to stick it out awhile.

As I mentioned, I wasn't planning to go to the game because I figured it would get rained out. So I really wasn't dressed appropriately and it only took about 2 innings before the cold wind got the best of me. Carter wanted to stay so I walked back to school and ran some errands around town then parked closer to the field. I think I sat in the car and read for about an hour. But that was fine. I was WARM!

Thank God I have a wonderful hubby who turned on my electric mattress pad hours before I got home. Now we can all be snug in our beds with no alarms set. Carter doesn't have to get dragged out of bed for school and we are working from our home office so we'll have a short "commute" that does not require getting up before 7:30.

Hello, Summer! Can't wait until you are really here -- and not just in name only.


No comments: