Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Daze

Found this picture of my dad and me today and had to scan it in.


It reminds me that I can still feel my dad's love, even if he isn't physically here anymore. And hopefully, he is feeling mine, too! Especially today on Father's Day.

It wasn't easy so soon to have the one holiday where we typically make an extra effort to let our dads know how much we love them. I was tearing up in church when we sang a "funeral song." And another "father" one. Yes, God is our father and I love him. But I love and miss my "earth father" too!

I have to thank my hubby and his family for taking my mind off of that. We had his parents and sister's family over and grilled burgers and brats for supper. Casey was home in Rapids for the weekend so he came over, too. It was just great to have family time.

You'd enjoy the day, too, if you could hang out with these handsome guys...


After everyone left, I took a walk. It was a gorgeous day after all. Earlier, I had to sneak in a little time with Mr. Deck Chair... sitting there with  my face upturned to the sun, just as my dad (my sun-seeking soul mate) would do!

I called my mom a little bit ago. I reminded her I was typically the last kid that called Dad on Father's Day so I'd chime in as the last one this year, too. I am so grateful a few of my sisters spent time with her yesterday and today so she could spend Father's Day with family -- as usual. I know that helped her (and probably them, too) get through this day.

Never underestimate the power of a good support network -- whether in the form of friends, family or your best friend, who also happens to be the father of three beautiful brown-eyed wonders in my life!

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: