Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Waiting Game


Good thing I am loaded with patience. Oh wait, that's gotta be someone else. (As evidenced this week.)

Carter officially started baseball practice on Monday. Due to the inclement weather, which is about to get worse before it gets better, the team has had to share indoor practice time and space with the softball team and track and field athletes.

They do various drills from hitting and fielding to pitching. Sometimes they go to another gymnasium at one of the elementary schools to do this. As a result, the person picking him up does not always know where to find him.

And we wait for him to come to us.

If you think we're joking when we say we are anxious for him to have his license and own vehicle, we're not.

Yesterday, for example, I was there to pick him up at 5:30 and had to wait for 20 additional minutes. "Practice ran long. We had lots of drills to do." OK, today I figured I would get to school early, buy scrip, go grab groceries and then get back to the school by say, 5:45.

I did just that and almost felt guilty for cutting it so close. I did not feel an ounce of guilt, though, some 45 minutes later when he sauntered out of the school. "Practice ran long. We had lots of drills to do." Whatever.

It's a good thing I bit the bullet and bought an Amazon Kindle Fire. I did it mainly to get Book Club books I might not find at the library or didn't want to purchase at full price. So Carter was lucky today that Ms. Impatient Mother of the Year could read one of her "new" books to help pass the time.

I could have done something bad for me instead. But when I drove past DQ, it was pouring rain and there's no way I was going to stand outside and wait. This time.

At least with that waiting game, there is a tasty reward at the end!


No comments: