Friday, January 20, 2017

Black Ice Matters


That whole business about your life changing in a split second has some merit.

Woke up to temperatures right around the freezing mark so it felt mild out. What I didn't realize heading out the door was that we were on the tail end of freezing rain. So the roads were sporadically slippery. And when I thought they were clear, I was met with some black ice.

As I approached a typically busy intersection during commuting hours, I hit the brakes and kept right on going at full speed – granted, only 35-40 mph – toward the intersection. It was a very long patch of black ice. Long enough, I think, that I could see my life pass before my eyes, I could curse, and still get a prayer in.

Thank GOD someone was listening!

Amazingly and very uncharacteristically, there was no one coming from either direction as I slid through the stop. Whew. I felt like a human version of the video game Frogger where you have to dodge traffic just right to survive.

Needless to say, my heart was pumping pretty hard for awhile!

I guess God has more work for me to do so he spared me.

It sure made me appreciate some time with loved ones at supper – last meal before Carter heads back to college tomorrow – and friends at the Assumption basketball game. Even though today was a controversial big day in politics with Trump sworn in as president, no one talked about it beyond social media. I think there is plenty of uncertainty and wariness, so why not just not think about it awhile and have fun?

So we did. Enjoyed a close girls JV game, where the Royals lost by one point. Watched the varsity girls squeak out a 3-point win in a close, hard-fought game with Auburndale. Our boys team was up in Marathon tonight and they won, too, giving them a perfect record still in the conference.

Despite everything, these are exciting times, aren't they?

Just remember to be thankful for today. In one moment – especially on black ice – our lives most certainly could change.

No comments: