Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Tuesday Night Hoopla


It's not unusual to find me in the bleachers on Tuesday night in the winter. But this time the hoops action was at the Wisconsin Rapids public high school, not Assumption, and I was not cheering for the home team.

Was getting my "daughter fix" watching a friend's little girl (#40) tear up the court for Stevens Point.

Jim and I have known Brian since back in our newspaper days when they were both in sports for their respective papers. Eventually, we all ended up at the same publishing house in Iola and I worked side by side with him for the past several years before my departure in 2015. So we've known Brian before kids and have basically watched his first-born and only girl, Leah, grow up before our eyes.

She's been a natural at any sport she's tried, but basketball is her thing. Which she has proven this year as a 5'10" freshman starting on varsity for the huge high school. Since the Panthers were in town tonight visiting the Red Raiders, I made it a point to see her in person.

Plus visit and catch up with her parents, of course.


Not that I am biased, but she certainly seems to be the best and most well-rounded player on the team. Unfortunately, she got into a little foul trouble in the first half, but I still think she got at least 12 points tonight.
 
It was a close game in the second half but in the last few minutes, Rapids pulled away and ended up with the 67-55 win.

Since Jim had to bowl and Brian and his wife were not staying for the boys game that followed, I headed for home. Ran into several people I know on the way out. Of course, more than half of them were Assumption people (since we have no games tonight), but I did see others from work and church, so I do know people beyond my Royal blue circle!

Will have to make it a point to see #40 in another game this year if I can. If not, she's only a freshman and I see great things in her future! You go, baby girl!


No comments: