Sunday, January 8, 2017

Pop Culture



If you've ever had a firm stand on what you call your carbonated soft drink, forget it. I now have concrete evidence of the proper term to use.

Having lived in all corners of Wisconsin (sort of), I have witnessed and participated in the "soda" and "pop" labels, following regional preference. I also have friends from Texas – like really FROM there – who call it "coke." And that's just not worth bringing into this equation.

Growing up in northwest Wisconsin, I said "pop," just as the map illustrates. Never gave it another thought until college in La Crosse when there were multiple influences from around the state and region. The first time I heard "soda" I thought maybe I'd been saying it wrong all this time. Was it because I was from Small Town, USA, that I didn't know any better?

That is stressful.

So I started to say soda as well as pop. But usually pop. Then moving over to the northeast corner of Wisconsin, there was a soda contingent. In fact the East Coast of Wisconsin is mostly soda, I think. And it creeps over to central parts, too, including Wisconsin Rapids.

So I find myself saying pop by lifelong habit and soda when I make a concerted effort before I speak. You know that rarely happens!

But now I know I should be saying POP. To illustrate...


This is a fraction of the mess in our garage this morning. It may be soda in the can, but it POPs when it is below zero! Especially way below zero. (If you're cold, they're cold. Bring them inside.)

Make sense? Can we all get along now?

Just don't get me started on "drinking fountain" vs "bubbler."


No comments: