Sunday, April 8, 2018

Holy Rollers on the Floor Laughing


Probably fitting that Easter fell on April Fools Day this year – the empty tomb had to be the biggest prank ever – and now a week later, we have Holy Humor Sunday.

Yes, it's a real thing!

Many American churches are resurrecting an old Easter custom begun by the early Greek Christians – "Bright Sunday" or "Holy Humor Sunday" celebrations on the Sunday after Easter. For centuries in all Christian faith traditions, the week following Easter Sunday was observed by the faithful as "days of joy and laughter" with parties and picnics to celebrate Jesus' resurrection. So it makes perfect sense.

And our substitute pastor did an outstanding job with it today! Pastor Dale and I have humor right up the same, pun-ny alley.

Among other fun, we had a few knock-knock jokes...

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Lettuce.
Lettuce who?
Lettuce pray.

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Oliver.
Oliver who?
Oliver answers are in the Bible if you look.

And right before offering...

Knock-knock.
Who's there.
Phillip.
Phillip who?
Phillip the plates when they pass by.

See? Funny ha-ha. I love that stuff!! He was right when he referenced the Family Circus comic strip...


There's always a good lesson that when you spread love and joy, it grows – and comes back to you.

Good stuff. It put me in a good mood all day. Such a good mood I even went for a run (not a joke) and thoroughly enjoyed some recliner time (along side hubby) watching the final round of the Masters. I like when it's close and you just cheer for everyone. It's more enjoyable when you don't know until that last putt who is going to win the green jacket.

I talked to my mom tonight and that put me in a good mood, too. Of course, I forgot to tell her the church jokes, which she would have loved. So I'll have to call her back this week. It was her turn to crack me up, though not intentionally. She somehow managed to work "hoodlums" and "hooligans" into one conversation! I just chuckled to myself.

We gotta start resurrecting some of these words and phrases. Young people – even those loud hooligans – need to know what's really funny.

In my o-pun-ion.

No comments: