Thursday, January 23, 2020

Guardian Snow Angels


The guardian angels who have snow tires and four-wheel drive on their wings were definitely working overtime today. At least keeping me alive and arriving safely at my destinations. Thank you, Lord!

Apparently we were supposed to get 5 inches of snow over the course of the next few days, but instead we got it overnight. And it was that fun rainy, sleety, slippery snow variety. Or as I call it, my White Knuckle Commute.

I sometimes wonder if Wisconsin drivers suffer from more carpal tunnel because of that.

I usually tell myself I'm lucky my commute is 80 percent on 4-lane highways, which should be plowed and not slippery. But today. They were plowed and still slippery.

When I was on the interstate and still 10 minutes from work, I saw cars ahead stopped and flashing lights further up the highway. I took the first exit to avoid that. But it was the eastbound exit so I had find a spot for a U-turn type direction change. That was not pretty. The median wasn't plowed and I couldn't get traction after my turn, so a guy (or lady) was on my butt and honking. Me: "Sorry! Go around!!"

I had to backtrack through the city of Stevens Point to get to work. That involved more slippery streets and turns and more near misses due to lack of traction. I can't just hit the gas and go. So by the time I did get to work, I was a wreck. And I'm surprised that with all my swearing at the weather, my car, the road, the other drivers, that the guardian angels cared enough to get me there safely.

Well God must really have plans for me because after work, when I was running some errands in Rapids, I was in the turn lane and probably missed a semi running me over by mere inches. Heart palpitations return!

Did I mention I hate winter driving? I do.

Thank you, angels, for caring. Can't wait to find out why!

Be careful out there!



No comments: