Thursday, January 9, 2020

Seriously, Wash Your Hands


Been blogging sporadically because it's been a worrisome week. I now know that no matter how old your children get, you worry. I won't say it's just a "mom thing," but it is for this mom!

Mr. College went back to Platteville last week since his winterim class started this week. When I texted him Monday afternoon to see how the first day went (because that's what moms do), I found out he'd been sick all night. And not the good kind. (Not that there really is a good kind.) Of course I was concerned. And he is so far away – thankfully not as far as Germany, where he got sick there a year ago at this time.

The reality is that there really wasn't anything I could do. Then or now. Even if I drove 3 hours down to P-Vegas, I'd still tell him to “rest and hydrate.” So I just checked in often enough not to disturb sleep, but often enough to assure that the symptoms hadn't worsened.

It took until Tuesday to keep food down. And he finally got to class on Wednesday.

Now I know it's a bug that's "going around." Saw a news story this morning out of Green Bay that said a school there closed for the day because of an outbreak of a stomach bug or norovirus. Both students and staff are suffering from the illness and the article said it's extremely contagious.

When I read that the symptoms include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramps, body aches, fatigue, chills and low fever, I was like, "That's what Carter had!" See, the not fun kind.

The sad thing is that even with a flu shot, you can contract this bug. That vaccine addresses the respiratory type of influenza, not the icky stomach stuff.

So even if you got the flu shot, this mom is telling you to cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze, and for crying out loud, wash your hands!


P.S. College Boy reported today he's back to normal. And that's a good thing for this not-so-normal momma to hear.


No comments: