Sunday, January 19, 2020

Spread the Son-Shine

No one's in the mood for any commentary tonight about football, so you are blessed with my column from today's church bulletin...


Spread the Son-shine

The fortune inside my cookie read: “You will bring sunshine into someone’s life.” My immediate thought – humble as I am – was that I naturally bring sunshine into everyone’s life, just by being me!

Well, I try. I give hugs and smiles and encouragement and, best of all, homemade treats on occasion. The naysayers may suggest I buy my friends with sugar. I would just say I’m sweet. And humble, remember.

In today’s Gospel from John, he’s reminding us that when we have treats that are too good to keep to ourselves, we should share them with others. In this case, the treat is Jesus – His words, His love, His promise.

John the Baptist wanted others to know who Jesus was. He explained how he had seen the Holy Spirit with Jesus, making sure others knew that his claims were validated. John had seen the Lord and couldn’t keep the knowledge to himself. When something great happens, you should want to announce it and share it!

Do we do this on a regular basis or ever? I honestly, humbly respond: No. Not often enough.

Maybe my fortune to bring sunshine into someone’s life could be a New Year’s resolution – for all of us. As children of God, what can we do to share the love of Christ with one another? To tell others about Him? Share the Son-shine?

Let’s do our part to spread the good news of the Gospel and make more disciples. Even it takes a calorie-filled treat to get the conversation started.


No comments: