Monday, May 11, 2020

Jack Frost 101


When I hear of temperature records set in May, I think of the first hot day where we spend 12 hours outside and look like a lobster the next day. But in reality, if it's the cluster known as 2020, it means we could set record lows tonight.

Yes, this stinks. And yes, of course I'll be turning on my electric mattress pad. Per usual.

And this isn't any freeze warning. It's a "hard freeze" warning. A "killing freeze" warning. As in, if you have plants outdoors (I do), be sure to bring them indoors or cover them. Otherwise, they're all gonna die!

How scary. I didn't realize there was so many freeze levels. So I had to turn to my trusty resource – The Old Farmer's Almanac. Here's what you nonfarmer types (like me) need to know:

  • A freeze can happen when the surface air temperature falls to 32 degrees or below; frost may or may not form. 
  • A light freeze (between 32 and 29 degrees) can kill tender plants. 
  • A moderate freeze (between 28 and 25 degrees), sometimes called a hard freeze, can cause wide destruction to most plants. 
  • A severe freeze (24 degrees and below), sometimes called a killing freeze, causes heavy damage to most plants. Many plants can survive a brief frost, but very few can survive a severe freeze.

If you want another visual... A severe freeze is like opening up the ice cream container and your spoon bends when you try to scoop it out. It's so cold, you can't even eat it until you either nuke it a bit (22-28 seconds) or set it out to "warm up" for 15 minutes.

That's how us nonfarmer types relate.

Stay warm, my friends!

No comments: